Pages

Tuesday 19 January 2016

Eating all the protein

If you are anything like me then you also stock up on stodgy carbohydrates when you should be stocking up on proteins. I am terrible for nomming up a gigantic ploughmans with all of the trimmings instead of thinking to eat my ten soaked almonds or a piece of yummy salmon. I am not even sure why.

You need to ensure that you eat three portions of protein as a minimum. What I do is I ensure that I can tick off all of the food groups that I need to cover before eating up anything else. I am not on a diet, as I have mentioned before, but I really do want to eat properly for my future baby and chances of fertility.

Here are some of the best sources of protein:

1) Eggs

As well as being a great source of protein, egg yolks provide you with 25% of you daily choline quota. It is no wonder that eggs are a super fertile food! I keep a stock hard boiled in the fridge, which I add to my daily salad.

2) Salmon

As mentioned, salmon is a wonderful source of protein. I aim to eat salmon twice a week. I don't even necessarily eat it as an evening meal, I just chuck a piece of salmon, seasoned with sugar and chilli powder and some salt, into the oven and eat it by itself. Anything to fill my weekly quota. I always buy farmed salmon because I have seen first hand the damage that over fishing is having on our World.

3) Dairy Food

Making sure that I eat enough dairy is not a problem for me, I am a milk guzzler. I do try to make sure my milk is full fat now (to get in my good fats) but, generally, consuming milk and yoghurt is easy for me!

4) Chicken

I am actually a pesketarian! If I couldn't get enough protein from other sources then I wouldn't have a problem with eating chicken (organic and from a humane source) though at this time of my life, simply because I want a baby more than anything else in the World.

5) Lentils and Tofu and Nuts and Stuff

These are the type of things that I try to cook with, only to hear complaints from Nick of 'ugh, this is that healthy crap again'. Luckily, I have found a few recipes that he likes but mostly I cook this stuff in bulk and freeze it and eat it myself whilst Nick sorts his own dinner out that night! I do always make sure that I carry almonds around with me and I make sure I eat ten a day!

So there we are - I would love to hear which are your favourite protein sources??


photo credit: A Tray of Tails via photopin (license)



No comments:

Post a Comment